Friday, May 03, 2013

Book Review - Space Demons

Space Demons by Gillian Rubenstein (Scholastic, 1985)

Space Demons is a thrilling novel in which 4 ordinary children are zapped into a computer game, where they must confront their own dark sides if they are to survive. This is the first book in a trilogy.

This book is a fantasy-mystery bordering on science fiction, which targets 10-15 year olds.

I liked the way that the characters came to life. All the children had their own personality. Each personality was believable and reasonable and the characters held to their personality, but still changed naturally.


I also liked how the plot came together. You couldn’t predict what would happen later on, but you still had a vague idea on what might happen, so you weren’t oblivious to what was happening. The plot also kept a consistent pace so you didn’t get bored, but didn’t go too fast so you had to struggle to keep up.

The author Gillian Rubenstein has written many children’s books including Galax-Arena, Under The Cat’s Eye and Terra Farma. I have read many of her books and have enjoyed them as much Space Demons.

Sam, 12, Canberra

4 comments:

  1. I read Galax-Arena and Terra Farma and loved them SO much. I can't believe they didn't publish Univercircus ( which was going to be the next and last in the trilogy ) and they left the second book on a cliff hanger!!
    I haven't read Space Demons, but I will now!!
    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your review, Sam. It sounds like you really enjoyed it.

    I haven't read much sci-fi. Do you think that people who aren't that into sci-fi would like this book?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember reading this many years ago, how great it is still being enjoyed! I will have to read it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a massive Sci-Fi fan, but I really enjoyed Galax-Arena, which is one of her other books. I found that some of her books ( Galax-Arena, Terra Farma) are based on real life issues (slavery, kidnapping) but are set in a more fictional way.

    ReplyDelete